Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Children, Toys, and your finances


I recently had a very interesting experience with my son at our local toy store. Occasionally, when he behaves well or does something particularly well, we make the trip to the toy store where you can choose a new toy for himself.

During this most recent trip, we made our way up and down each aisle. We spent the Transformers stuff that cost an arm and a leg, and spent all the latest fashions and other toy in the world. Sure, he liked to play with this stuff, but it never really interested him.

After many trials and decide and grabbing and so on, finally looked at me and said, "Dad, I want a kite."

A kite? Wow, I had not thought of before. He looked around a little longer 'the store, found some kites years, and he chose a new Spiderman kite for total of $ 2.99.

We then made our way to the local park. In fact it took me a few minutes to remember exactly what to do, as it was somewhere around 25 who had flown one. Anyway, we put together and understood in the air. For the next few hours, my son and I probably had more fun with that kite we had spent together the past few months. He was so proud of himself, once we were able to sustain in the air. I was checking with the concentration of an Air Force pilot. It 'was a sight to behold.

When we got home, we walked past the counter tool that spent about $ 42 for Christmas, which is really just collecting dust in a corner now.

We almost stepped on portable toy that I bought for him that cost about the same. After that, I tried to forget all the other toys we bought for him, which were more expensive in the range.

My point is this: it seems that we as parents have a sort of false visions of grandeur when it comes to buying toys and gifts for our children. We somehow feel that the more you spend, the more enjoyment our children receive. Maybe I'm not in the majority do not mind this. If not, please let me know.

But my son is living proof that get pleasure much more than $ 2 and $ 3 for him those toys that cost ten times more. After all, of course, does not know what these costs more expensive toys, and even if he had, he probably still does not care.

Take a step back and consider some of the more traditional, less expensive toys. You could probably save a bundle and your children can reap more benefits as well ....

No comments:

Post a Comment