Friday, August 31, 2012

How to get a job without experience - just as you would Sell Yourself If You Were A Salesperson


It 's easier to find a job than you think. You do not need experience, just think you do, maybe this is just an excuse for your job search is not going very well - no one hires me, because I have no work experience. Bad excuse!

Back when I finished school I did not have any experience either. I did what everyone else did - I sent resume in response to job ads in the classifieds. That did not work. Then I got creative. I was specifically looking for a sales job, because that's what I thought I would have liked. I thought to myself, what is a sales manager looking for when hiring a salesperson? I knew the answer. A sales manager wants someone who can sell. How do I prove that I could sell without a track record? I could see.

Here's what I did. I was targeting a B2B business selling photocopiers. I chose a few prospects and called on those responsible for sales in those offices. I did not call to ask for a job (not at first). I called the sales manager (cold call) pretending to be a cleaner office and tried to sell my services. It really is not an office cleaner. I was playing a role. I was faking. I just wanted to be able to showcase my sales skills. It worked! Sales managers were impressed. I soon had a handful of job offers to choose from.

Of course, show off your skills in sales, with a fake call cold does not help you get something other than a sales job, but that's not the point. The point is that you can be creative, no matter what kind of job you're looking for. Just find a way to show your skills without actually doing what everyone does when looking for a job (sending dozens of resumes, while hoping for a call back). It works! ......

No comments:

Post a Comment